Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Caramel Frosted Layer Cake




I am so glad that fall is arriving. It is my favorite time of the year because I do lots of baking. I am organizing my cookie recipes because I bake and sell them at Christmas. I always like to add one or two new ones to my list. each year. The recipe I am posting today is for a layer cake with caramel frosting,  it is so good, and easy to make too! I am having a sale on my cookbooks too. Just click on the links on the left side bar to view them.

Cake
3 c. sifted cake flour (measure after sifting)

1 T. baking powder

¼ tsp. salt

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened

2 c. granulated sugar, sifted

1 T. vanilla extract

4 lg. eggs, room temperature

1 c. milk

Caramel Frosting
1 c. packed dark brown sugar

½ c. evaporated milk

3 T. butter

2 teaspoons light corn syrup

2 c. confectioners’ sugar

1 T. vanilla extract

Garnish: toasted pecan halves, optional


Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Spray 2 (9-inch) or 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray containing flour.  Resift the flour with the baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  In large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the milk, and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix just enough to blend the batter after each addition.  Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Remove the pans and place cakes on wire racks to cool completely.  Frosting: Combine the brown sugar, milk, butter, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Reduce the heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 or 6 minutes) stirring occasionally.  Remove from the heat.  Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, and beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth and slightly warm.  Cool for 2 to 3 minutes. (Frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools). To complete cake:  Spread the frosting between the layers and on top and sides of cake.  Garnish top with toasted pecan halves, if desired. Serves 12.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm drooling! Thanks for the recipe, definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soooo tempting n yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that looks so creamy and delishious. Phew! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! I love love this cake and want to make it! I'd take caramel over chocolate any day! And I can imagine how good your kitchen smelled when you were making it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete