Friday, May 13, 2011

MAKING THE PERFECT PIE CRUST


Everyone has their favorite pie crust recipe. Some contain all butter, others a combination of butter and shortening, or just all shortening and the list goes on. Last fall, when it was time to make all the delicious pies for the season, apple, pumpkin, pecan, etc. I went in search of the perfect pie crust. I had a good recipe, but I wanted something really special. One that was flaky, tender and very easy to work with. Well after much trial and error, I found the perfect recipe and will not use another pie crust recipe ever again. I am not exactly sure where this recipe originated but it probably was in a 1950's or 1960's woman's magazine from some of the research that I did. Maybe some of you use this recipe already. If not, I urge you to give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. I sent the recipe to a good friend of mine in California and she was thrilled with the results. She declared it the perfect pie crust. I will be posting some delicious summer pie recipes to go with your perfect pie crust!


4 c. all-purpose flour

1 T. granulated sugar

2 tsp. salt

1 ¾ c. Crisco shortening, cut into pieces

½ c. cold water

1 T. white distilled vinegar

1 lg. egg


In large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the shortening in with a pastry blender until crumbly. In small bowl, beat together the water, vinegar and egg. Add to flour mixture. Stir until all ingredients are moistened. Divide dough into 4 or 5 portions and flatten each into a flat round patty ready for rolling. Wrap each patty in plastic and if using any of them right away chill for at least ½ hour. Otherwise freeze the others and remove from freezer about 30 minutes before using.


To prebake pie shell. Chill shell in refrigerator for 30 minutes. If the shell has been preformed and frozen, thaw it at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 450. Line pie shell with circle of parchment or wax paper and fill it with 2 ½ cups of dried beans or rice or pie weights spread to the edge and place more near the sides than in the center. Set the pie shell on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then decrease heat to 375 and bake for 5 minutes more. Remove pie shell from oven. Remove parchment and beans or rice out of shell. Prick the bottom of the pie shell in 3 or 4 places with the point of a sharp knife to prevent the shell from forming bubbles as it finishes baking. Return shell to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Cool completely before filling.

8 comments:

  1. Pie crust has been my baking nemesus so far and that is why i never bake pie ( though i love eating it!). Will give your recipe a try once I muster up the courage to give the pie a try once again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely give this one a try. I'm intrigued by the vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful...and perfect! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kat it looks delicious, a good crust will make the whole pie, thank you

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat, Happy Spring and I am so glad you dropped by. How is it going? the shop? you? I am not much of a pie maker except with store bought shells (bad I know) but this recipe intrigues me and must try it. Love the addition of the sugar and the vinegar sounds interesting. Wonder what it does? xoxo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat,
    I was SO happy to find this blog. I love it all, and will be trying probably almost everything you have here. . . starting with the perfect pie crust. I have yet to find one I feel is perfect, so I am really excited to try it! I wish I didn't love baked goods so much, I could lose five pounds for sure! My husband and I have decided not to go out to eat for a month or two to try to just eat good, healthy, homemade food and control calories a bit, and I can promise you I will be trying out your recipes first thing! Yes I know, these pies and cakes are not exactly low calorie, but a girl's gotta have something to look forward to, right?
    I am your newest follower, and will be back often looking through old posts!!
    I have started a new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots, and I just hope my blog will be as inspirational to others as yours was to me! I will be featuring sewing, quilting, knit, crochet, baking, gardening, among others. Surely one of your recipes will end up there! I will definitely credit and link to you so others may enjoy your wonderful blog. Please stop by and visit me sometime, and let me know what you think. I hope to get to know you better!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a BEAUTIFUL pie crust detail! I do not bake much but I have been increasingly wanting to learn to bake pies. Thank you for sharing.

    I have @Malou_Nievera to thank for discovering your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best recipe on earth for pie crust! I could never make them correctly no matter how hard I tried until THIS recipe! Thank you soooo much. <3

    ReplyDelete