Monday, May 16, 2011

BLUEBERRY PIE



Most of us have a soft spot for pies. To me it brings back the time watching my grandmother making pies from scratch and helping her roll out the dough. I would wait impatiently peaking in front of the oven for the pie to brown. Then waiting for it to cool and finally a big slice of delicious pie topped with an even bigger scoop of vanilla ice cream. In my previous post, I gave you the recipe for my favorite pie crust so now it is time to make a pie! And what could be more delicious than a blueberry pie loaded with plump blueberries.

2 rolled out rounds of perfect pie crust dough
4 c. blueberries
1 T. lemon juice
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Egg Wash
1 lg. egg yolk
1 T. cream

Fold 1 dough round in half and transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Unfold and ease into the pan and pat it firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim the edge of the dough leaving 3/4-inch of overhang. Set aside until ready to use. Place the blueberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss to coat evenly. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel and cinnamon. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the berries and toss to distribute evenly. Transfer to the dough-lined pan. Fold the remaining dough round in half and carefully position it over half of the filled pie. Unfold and trim the edge neatly, leaving 1-inch overhang, then fold the edge of the top round under the edge of the bottom round and crimp the edges to seal. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and cream and brush evenly over the pastry and pastry rim. Make a few slits near center of pie to allow steam to escape. Wrap edges of pie with strip of aluminum foil to prevent excess browning. Refrigerate the pie until the dough is firm 20 to 30 minutes. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Remove the chilled pie from the fridge and place on a larger baking pan, to catch any spills. Bake the pie until the crust is golden and the filling is thick and bubbling, 50 to 60 minutes. Place the baked pie on a wire rack to cool for several hours. Serve at room temp with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Note: If using frozen blueberries (do not thaw) and increase the baking time by 10 to 15 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. How did you know my favorite pie was blueberry? Sometimes I great myself to a single serving size blueberry pie from the grocery store, but homemade is always best. Fabulous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tempting and fabulous pie.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pie looks delicious. I'd love to have a slice. It is one of my favorite pies. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I love blueberry pie. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Kat, your pie looks sooo good! Save me a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a labor of LOVE! My pie's baking right now!!! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about the fact that I don't make nearly enough pies. I've never made blueberry pie. I'd love to give this recipe a try. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kat, does this ever look good! I wish I had some Blueberries! But if I did, I'd probably make muffins with them. That pie is just beautiful and looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat,
    I am having blog/computer problems too. I have been trying to comment on this post and can't seem to! Anyhow, I am so excited you visited and are following my blog. Thank you so much. Now I need to try out that pie crust recipe. I just want you to tell us all that there are no calories or fat grams in any of your recipes? Ok? Lie to me if you must! Hopefully I will be getting something new up on the blog soon! Thanks again, and so nice talking to you. Love your blog!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blueberry pie looks wonderful. I really need to get more comfortable with making pies. I need to give your pie crust recipe a try and get over my fear of pie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pie looks incredibly AMAZING! I can't wait to make it this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing both the crust and pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete