Wednesday, September 22, 2010

BEST SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE


I love sour cream pound cake and have several recipes that I usually use. But today I wanted to come up with a new one, and I am so glad that I did. This one has a little twist and I made it with half all-purpose flour and half cake flour. The results were a very moist and flavorful cake. The addition of the honey was just right. I couldn't wait until it was completely cooled and cut a piece. I know it is going to taste even better tomorrow when the flavors have had a chance to blend. Somehow I can never wait that long. I really do hope you give this a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 ½ c. sifted cake flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 3/4 c. granulated sugar
6 lg. eggs, room temperature
1 c. sour cream
1 T. vanilla extract
2 T. honey
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt or 10-inch tube baking pan or spray with nonstick baking spray containing flour.
Sift together the flours, baking soda and salt. Sift again. Set aside. Combine the sour cream, vanilla extract and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 10 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the sour cream mixture and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to blend the batter after each addition. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 25 minutes. Remove the pan and place the cake on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.

15 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous- I love a good pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous...so moist and the texture is so fine. Would love to try, Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questa foto rende una torta fantastica, brava ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. a fantastic pound cake you have made! I'd love to venture this recipe soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sour cream that needs to be used up and a school meeting tomorrow morning! Perfect! Thanks so much for making my day, today a tad easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! This looks like something we'd really enjoy at our house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat, this cake looks great! So soft.... I still haven´t seen the cake flour, I´ll pay attention at the supermarket.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sour cream pound cake and I like to try different recipes. I will have to give this recipe a try next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I baked this cake this weekend and it was amazing! One of my favorite recipes of all time now. I usually don't like pound cake, but I loved this one. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a pound cake recipe that uses sour cream but did not call for honey. The next time I make a pound cake, I have to try yours. The cake looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quick question......do you sift the flours BEFORE you measure/scoop it out or after? I usually scoop a cup of flour out and pour it into a sifter that I have placed over a bowl. (which means I scoop/measure first and then sift). Is this the method you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a really nice cake and turned out awesome, moist,delicate yet dense and light.perfect

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful, I added apples with cinnamon for a yummy sour cream apple cake, just added a dab of whipped cream, super delish. Made healthy version with whole wheat pastry flour and artficial sweetner, makes a great desert, if you are not permitted sugar.

    ReplyDelete