Wednesday, July 21, 2010

STRAWBERRY STREUSEL BARS


Bar cookies are easy and fun to make. And these are no exception. The buttery base, strawberry filling and streusel topping are sure to be a crowd pleasure. Experiment with other preserves too. I hope this recipe will become one of your go-to favorites. Enjoy!

Base
1 c. (2 sticks) butter softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lg. egg
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 (10 oz.) jar strawberry preserves

Streusel
1 c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. cold butter
¼ c. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. In large mixing bowl, cream the butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and the vanilla extract on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture until well blended. Press into prepared pan. Heat the strawberry preserves until melted. Spread over the base to within ½-inch of edges. Struesel: Combine streusel ingedients til crumbly using a pastry blender or two forks. Sprinkle evenly over the preserves. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Cut into bars. Store in airtight container. Makes about 24 bars.




11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I can just taste this - heavenly. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! They look great and I need one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really do look wonderful. I'll have to give them a try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word "streusel", I come over all "Sound of Music"! They look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I can't wait to make these with homemade preserves. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmm! So perfect for summer! A must try!!

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bar looks absolutely amazing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You tryin' to keep me fat? :)) all your recipes are sooooooooo yummmeee.

    (())
    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there.
    I came across your blog whilst reading another blog. The streusel bar looks absolutely delicious.
    Have a great day. Michael

    ReplyDelete