Wednesday, July 21, 2010

PEANUT BLOSSOM COOKIES


This recipe is one of those classics that will continue to be popular as long as there are peanut butter lovers. I know I told you I love chocolate, but guess what, I love, love peanut butter too! I believe a woman submitted a recipe for Peanut Blossoms back in the late 1950's and won the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest.

These cookies aren't just for your holiday trays. Serve them all year round. Too Yummy.

1 bag (8 oz.) Chocolate Kisses
1/2 c. butter flavored shortening
3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
1 lg. egg
2 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
additional granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove wrappers from chocolate. In large mixing bowl, beat the shortening and peanut butter with mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add the 1/3 c. granulated sugar and brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the egg, milk and vanilla until well mixed. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Reduce the mixer speed and gradually add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets spacing 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie until you see the cookie slightly crack. This way kiss will stand upright. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 4 dz. cookies.



2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make these but have yet to do so!! Looks like it's time for me to break out the peanut butter and hershey kisses!!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the BEST cookies. Definitely one of my favorites. I remember making them with my mother every year!

    ReplyDelete