Wednesday, June 9, 2010

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE


A friend of mine asked me if I had a good recipe for German Chocolate Cake. I told him I did and to visit my blog. I just realized that I hadn't posted the recipe and I don't know why. This is a delicious cake and the frosting is a bit different than other German Chocolate frosting recipes because I do not use eggs. The cake does not need to be refrigerated. It is a great favorite with my nephew too, who requests it from me around the holidays. I hope you enjoy it!

Cake
1 pkg. (4 oz.) German’s sweet chocolate
½ c. water
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 lg. eggs, room temperature
1 c. buttermilk

Coconut-Pecan Filling & Frosting
¾ c. ( 1 ½ sticks) butter
1 ½ c. packed light brown sugar
¾ c. evaporated milk
1 T. vanilla extract
2 ¼ c. flaked, sweetened coconut
2 ¼ c. chopped, toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray containing flour. Microwave chocolate and water in microwaveable bowl until chocolate is almost melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large mixing, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the melted chocolate beating just until blended. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to blend the batter after each addition. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the pans and place cakes on wire racks to cool completely. Filling/Frosting: In medium saucepan over low heat stir butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla extract until completely smooth. Remove from heat and fold in coconuts and pecans. Cool slightly. To complete cake: Spread Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting between cake layers on onto top of cake. Serves 12.

6 comments:

  1. German chocolate cake is so good, yet I've only made it once or twice! Hmmm ... maybe for Father's Day or hubby's birthday ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cake! It looks delicious and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite cake of all times! I love how you're able to frost the sides of your cake with the traditional frosting. It seems that it usually
    doesn't have enough body and it runs down the side of the cake. I'm definitely going to try your recipe out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kat...this cake looks wonderful. I love German Chocolate Cake!!

    So glad you stopped by!

    Have a sunny day!
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! My daughter's coming for a visit and German Chocolate is her very favorite cake. Kat, how is the frosting changed by not using egg yolks? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete